Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Don't sweat the small stuff... and it's all small stuff....

Wise words... but when you are in the middle of a full-blown-stressful-situation... it is difficult to be sane enough to remember!  
     Number 6 on our list... is about just this... HOW TO COPE!




 6.  Develop strategies for coping. – How you respond to the ‘craptastic’ moments is what shapes your character.  Sometimes crap happens – it’s inevitable.  Forrest Gump knows the deal.  It can be hard to come up with creative solutions in the moment when manure is making its way up toward the fan.  It helps to have healthy strategies for coping pre-rehearsed, on-call, and in your arsenal at your disposal.


I know that when I feel stress creeping towards my own personal fan... turning to family and friends for help and support always helps! Sometimes... just talking it out...  can help put a different spin on the offending situation! And we all know there is nothing like a girlfriend to snap you out of your "stress-induced-fugue"! In my last post I talked about Face Book and how keeping in touch with people through a social network can do wonders for us not feeling so alone!  Not to mention... helping us realize... that we are not the only ones... stressed with work or kids or life in general!  And sometimes we just need to step out of the situation... to see it for what it really is!  I know that this is easier said than done sometimes.

Stress is an amazing state of being... It can make us do ridiculous things!  I remember once being under a great deal of stress at home and at work and also having an ear ache. It never once occurred to me to go to the Doctor and have my ear looked at!  I just suffered in silence! Holy Molly!  Do NOT forget to take care of yourself!

I also find what works for me... is concentrating on deriving meaning from whatever the stressful situation is... I always know... in my heart of hearts... that there is a lesson to be learned at these times... And if... I slow down and and be still... with myself...  the "whys" seem to fall into place... and the lesson becomes clear(er) to me!  Then it is up to me... to change the outcome of how I handle my mini-crisis! 

One of the most positive ways people can cope with painful situations is through humor.  Who hasn't retold a personal story... that at the time you thought would kill you... but later... after you have come out the other side...  you turn it in to a funny story?!?  Of course this doesn't work with all stressful situations... But as I say... "Don't stress the little stuff... because it is ALL small stuff"...

When dealing with stress it is important to deal with your physical... mental... and social well being.  By following these simple ideas... you will have an easier time responding to the stresses in your lives...

                And don't forget to Breath...
;-)
As Always...
Candace
x0x




No comments:

Post a Comment